5 inches of Rain, 6 inches of hail -- In LA?
Halcitron
2003-11-13 07:08:57 UTC
What a storm, rain and hail to break records.

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.
Myal
2003-11-13 07:54:15 UTC
Any damage much ?
Thats more than we get , and usualy it busts roofs , dents up cars , smashes
windows.... ususal stuff
Halcitron
2003-11-13 15:39:33 UTC
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:54:15 +1100
Any damage much ?
Thats more than we get , and usualy it busts roofs , dents up cars , smashes
windows.... ususal stuff
100 year storm.
At lease one roof colapse, in Walnut, CA;
flooding, caused by blocked storm drains;
kids in Watts,enjoying a "snow day", throwing balls of hail;
motorists stuck in commute, as water rises to windows and cars float; and
some cars and buildings filled with a foot or two of dirty water.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/weather/111203_ws_rain.html

LOS ANGELES — Thunder roared, lightning ripped through the skies and hail
slammed into four counties Wednesday as an intense storm flooded streets and
freeways, darkened neighborhoods and interrupted air travel.

Fast-flowing water turned some south county streets to rivers, swamping cars at
the height of rush hour and rising to the doorsteps of homes and stores.

Firefighters rescued more than 100 motorists from atop vehicles and pedestrians
from waist-deep waters that swept along urban debris. In many areas, neighbors
opened their homes to those stranded.

The storm's wrath was amplified when it stalled and kept its worst cells over
the same areas for long periods of time.

"It's been freaky," said Capt. Mark Savage of the Los Angeles County Fire
Department. "We've had an increase of calls due to the weather, from pole fires
caused by lightning strikes, to persons trapped in elevators due to the loss of
power, to numerous motorists stranded in their vehicles."

Rain in the most severely hit areas was coming down at 3 inches per hour, the
National Weather Service said. Five inches of rain fell at 96th Street and
Central Avenue in South Los Angeles in less than two hours, the agency said.

A thin layer of frozen rain covered the ground in parts of Compton, 10 miles
south of Los Angeles, prompting some teens to make the best of the storm with
"hail-ball" fights.

Twenty-five incoming flights were diverted from Los Angeles International
Airport to San Francisco, Ontario and San Diego, said Larri Frelow, an
operations officer with the Federal Aviation Administration.

A Virgin Atlantic Airways flight arriving from London was diverted to Ontario
at 6 p.m. Passengers on the plane spent the next three hours on the runway
because the airport did not have customs officials on duty, LAX spokeswoman
Nancy Castles Castles said.

Nearly 10,000 electrical customers were left without power for extended
periods, Southern California Edison Co. spokesman Steve Conroy said. Outages
included Compton, 10 miles south of Los Angeles, neighboring South Gate and
Watts, then east through the San Gabriel Valley to Montebello, Covina,
Monrovia, El Monte, West Covina and into San Bernardino County, where Chino
Hills was especially hard hit.

In downtown Los Angeles, the upscale Millennium Biltmore Hotel lost power for
several hours.

Some of the repair crews worked recently to restore power after the wildfires
and Wednesday were deployed to restore electricity due to lightning strikes on
power equipment, Conroy said. They were expected to work through the night and
into the morning to restore power, he said.

"We were hoping to give them a rest, then this storm popped up," he said. "It's
the nature of the work we do. They have to re-engage."

As the storm moved through the region, outage calls shifted to parts of Orange,
Riverside and San Bernardino counties, he said.

Television helicopters showed large blackened areas where power had been zapped
by lightning strikes.

The weather service issued flash flood warnings for southern and eastern Los
Angeles County. Officials later extended the flood warning to parts of Orange,
Riverside and San Bernardino counties, including Rancho Cucamonga and Upland,
which were recently threatened by the wildfires.

Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Roland Sprewell said dozens of
residents reported flooding in their homes. In the foothills east of Los
Angeles, officials were bracing for possible flooding and mudslides from land
recently denuded by the wildfires.

Cheryl Hamlett and her daughter in Compton saw the weather problems in their
neighborhood on television so decided to cancel Bible study classes at Greater
Mount Sinai Missionary Baptist Church.

"We said 'We can't go there.' So we started calling everybody and telling them
not to show up," Hamlett said. "The biggest problem was they couldn't reach
some people and got busy signals for others."

Shaquille111
2003-11-13 19:24:07 UTC
Pretty bizarro. I live next to LAX, and there was hardly any rain. But
Inglewood, no more than a few miles away, took the brunt of it. Go figure.
Robert
2003-11-13 18:04:36 UTC
It's been clear skys in Oregon. Whenever our weather is good somebody else
is being slammed with what was meant for us.

Robert
Jon Danniken
2003-11-13 20:55:20 UTC
Post by Robert
It's been clear skys in Oregon. Whenever our weather is good somebody else
is being slammed with what was meant for us.
Dammit, Robert, you should know by now to *never* tell them that! It's been
freezing up here, and raining constantly without any sun for the last year. The
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).

Jon
Tim May
2003-11-13 21:39:37 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
Post by Robert
It's been clear skys in Oregon. Whenever our weather is good somebody else
is being slammed with what was meant for us.
Dammit, Robert, you should know by now to *never* tell them that! It's been
freezing up here, and raining constantly without any sun for the last year.
The
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).
I can attest to what this Jon person is saying.

I lived for two very wet years in Oregon, 1980-82, and the days were
overcast nearly into mid-June. Then hot and sunny for about 3 months,
until the overcast appeared again.

But the locals made us feel welcome: "We don't want your damned
Cali-FORN-ya jobs. We got the fishing. We got the trees."

I was never so happy as when I left Oree-gun for good and returned to
California.

--Tim May
Sue
2003-11-14 01:40:27 UTC
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:39:37 -0800, Tim May
Post by Tim May
Post by Jon Danniken
Post by Robert
[...]
And I'm sure there was dancing in the streets when you left.
Sue
--Tim May
Mach Twain
2003-11-14 02:00:24 UTC
"Trees cause pollution" --------Ronald Reagan

MT
Gunner
2003-11-14 05:49:02 UTC
Post by Mach Twain
"Trees cause pollution" --------Ronald Reagan
MT
Actualy..they do. Ever see a workup of what noxious shit trees spew out?

Gunner

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
A.T. Hagan
2003-11-14 15:10:42 UTC
Post by Gunner
Post by Mach Twain
"Trees cause pollution" --------Ronald Reagan
MT
Actualy..they do. Ever see a workup of what noxious shit trees spew out?
He's right.

Trees are why the Great Smoky Mountains are smoky.

Now, whether that's actually *pollution* or not is another thing
entire.
Post by Gunner
Gunner
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
And the same to you, Gunner. Hahahahahaha!

No mountains around here anyways.

.....Alan. ;)

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
pyotr filipivich
2003-11-15 07:00:21 UTC
And lo, it came about, that on Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:49:02 GMT in
Post by Gunner
Post by Mach Twain
"Trees cause pollution" --------Ronald Reagan
MT
Actualy..they do. Ever see a workup of what noxious shit trees spew out?
The Smokey Mountains of Tennessee were called that long before the
industrial revolution reached the area.
--
pyotr filipivich
The cliche is that history rarely repeats herself. Usually she just
the first time!?"
Robert
2003-11-14 03:14:53 UTC
Post by Tim May
I can attest to what this Jon person is saying.
I lived for two very wet years in Oregon, 1980-82, and the days were
overcast nearly into mid-June. Then hot and sunny for about 3 months,
until the overcast appeared again.
But the locals made us feel welcome: "We don't want your damned
Cali-FORN-ya jobs. We got the fishing. We got the trees."
I was never so happy as when I left Oree-gun for good and returned to
California.
--Tim May
Tim, I have got to set you straight. You did not meet the typical
Oregonian who settled the land. You didn't even meet the typical
Oregonian who can hold a job.

I am not sure of when it started, but so many deadbeat hillbillies who
couldn't make a living on welfare in the south headed for Oregon. For
instance, we have a bunch of welfare lowlifes that came from Arkansas.
I don't mean to bust Arkansans in general, but the lowlifes of the
state poured in as quickly as Californians. Arkansas is a better state
for it now and I'm sure most Arkansans are happy about it, but we got
stuck with them. I guess they liked the forests and the rural bliss,
along with their gov checks. That's who you met. We have a few
Walmarts now and on saturdays you can see them pile in. What a sight!
The Arkansans who actually wanted jobs crossed the border for Texas.

We also have a bunch of former California hippies who bought a few
acres waaay out in the country and raised their kids smoking pot from
birth. Long greasy haired MethNecks are out there too. The key is,
don't make eye contact or they might kill you. Lots of people move
away from the country to get away from them!

We have some weird and lazy people, but they still don't outnumber the
normals, except in Portland.

Robert

Did I just coin MethNeck?
Tim May
2003-11-14 03:32:33 UTC
Post by Robert
Tim, I have got to set you straight. You did not meet the typical
Oregonian who settled the land. You didn't even meet the typical
Oregonian who can hold a job.
I was in the Beaverton/Aloha/Hillsboro area, with Intel, as I said, in
1980-82.

I remember one evening I went with a friend with his girlfriend to
visit one of her coworkers in Forest Grove. The guy, a live-in of the
friend, was ranting about how the "damn [SIC] Californians" were
destroying their way of life: fishing, collecting unemployment ("from
the mill"), and generally bring technology to their backwater.

I was very, very happy to leave this inbred backwater.
Post by Robert
I am not sure of when it started, but so many deadbeat hillbillies who
couldn't make a living on welfare in the south headed for Oregon. For
instance, we have a bunch of welfare lowlifes that came from Arkansas.
I don't mean to bust Arkansans in general, but the lowlifes of the
state poured in as quickly as Californians. Arkansas is a better state
for it now and I'm sure most Arkansans are happy about it, but we got
stuck with them. I guess they liked the forests and the rural bliss,
along with their gov checks. That's who you met.
Yep, a lot of them 70s rednecks collectin' da "white nigger" benefits.

White niggers are just like the usual color ones.

--Tim May
Rex Tincher
2003-11-14 17:12:29 UTC
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:32:33 -0800, Tim May
<***@removethis.got.net> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Tim May
White niggers are just like the usual color ones.
And poor white trash isn't necessarily white, or poor.

I lived in one neighborhood where the few black residents were a giant
step up from many of the white residents.

You can't judge people by their wealth or the color of their skin.
There are plenty of sleazeballs and jerks of every color and every
economic group. Also some good people in every color and every
economic group.
--
"And I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle,
loaded it into my little car, and drove home. It seemed so
of first edition hardback, ISBN 1-58648-105-3
Noah Simoneaux
2003-11-14 18:50:41 UTC
Post by Tim May
White niggers are just like the usual color ones.
And poor white trash isn't necessarily white, or poor.
Yep. I get a laugh from some of the snobs I work with. These people are no
better than anybody else, but they still look down their noses at the
"riff-raff". Several people I work with refuse to go to WalMart on Thursday or
Friday evening(after they get off work) because that's when all the "commoners"
go to WalMart and cash their paychecks. The TRUE "beautiful people" all know
that one just does NOT associate with the "little people" like that. :/
I have one word for people like that- SCROOMALL.
I suppose I could borrow Tim May's phrase if I was feeling especially
charitable- "They deserve killing." :/
It is easier to fight for our principles than to live up to them.-Alfred Adler
Robert
2003-11-14 03:27:09 UTC
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:55:20 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
Post by Jon Danniken
Post by Robert
It's been clear skys in Oregon. Whenever our weather is good somebody else
is being slammed with what was meant for us.
Dammit, Robert, you should know by now to *never* tell them that! It's been
freezing up here, and raining constantly without any sun for the last year. The
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).
Jon
Okay. My next post in this thread is more negative.

Robert
fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White)
2003-11-14 04:25:02 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).
Jon
The SLUGS, man! Don't forget to tell them about the giant
killer SLUGS! And the rabid beavers, who'll rip your leg off
as soon as look at you! And the crazed kamikaze deer! The
kind who jump out of the woods right in front of your
speeding car and try going through your windscreen! It's
a LIVING HELL in Oregon! And Washington state is EVEN
WORSE!

It's too late for us; save yourselves. And don't move here.

^_^

FW
Halcitron
2003-11-16 02:13:23 UTC
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:55:20 -0800
Dammit, Robert, you should know by now to *never* tell them that! It's been
freezing up here, and raining constantly without any sun for the last year.
The
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).
Jon
Oh yeah? Well, here in California, we have earthquakes, that swallow up whole
cities, so you better stay out (especially if you are from Oregon.

Robert Sturgeon
2003-11-16 06:37:23 UTC
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:55:20 -0800
Dammit, Robert, you should know by now to *never* tell them that! It's been
freezing up here, and raining constantly without any sun for the last year.
The
roads are nothing but muddy trails, where cars are swallowed whole and their
occupants never seen again. It's really dreary and completely miserable;
please, for your own sanity, stay out of Oregon (especially if you are from
California).
Jon
Oh yeah? Well, here in California, we have earthquakes, that swallow up whole
cities, so you better stay out (especially if you are from Oregon.
Don't worry. Orygonians ain't tough enuff to live in California. ;-)

--
Robert Sturgeon
http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge

There are four types of homicide:
felonious, accidental, justifiable,and praiseworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
Halcitron

Robert
2003-11-17 18:08:13 UTC
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:37:23 -0800
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:55:20 -0800
Post by Halcitron
cities, so you better stay out (especially if you are from Oregon.
Don't worry. Orygonians ain't tough enuff to live in California. ;-)
Word!
:)
I'll have you both know that we have had cites swallowed by rivers and
cities swallowed by the Pacific Ocean. A geologist friend from California
did some survey work up here when he worked for the U.S. Geological Survey.
He said Oregon was so unstable he would never live up here. He still lives
in Pasadena. We are still waiting for the big one that slides Portland down
enough to get filled-in by the river. It will make a nice lake someday if
the downtown volcano doesn't fill it in.

BTW, SUV's were not popular vehicles here until transplanted Californians
moved up here. Some arrived here surprised that the highway didn't turn into
a dirt road when they crossed the Oregon border. Still, they buy more SUV's
to get from their driveway to the supermarket parking lot. I even had one
guy bum a ride from me when the road iced over because he had never driven
his SUV in the ice before and was afraid of wrecking it!

Robert
The Rifleman
2003-11-14 19:43:56 UTC
sounds like a typical english summer :o)
Halcitron
2003-11-16 02:23:38 UTC
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:43:56 -0000
Post by Halcitron
What a storm, rain and hail to break records.
sounds like a typical english summer :o)
One weatherman, said today, that what hit Watts, was a "10,000-year" storm.

pyotr filipivich
2003-11-18 01:35:59 UTC
And lo, it came about, that on 16 Nov 2003 02:23:38 GMT in misc.survivalism ,
Post by Halcitron
Post by The Rifleman
Post by Halcitron
What a storm, rain and hail to break records.
sounds like a typical english summer :o)
One weatherman, said today, that what hit Watts, was a "10,000-year" storm.
So lets see, fire, earthquake, rain, hail, floods, landslides - locust and
flies can't be far behind, no doubt to be followed by a infestation of frogs.
The amphibian kind, I mean.

tschus
pyotr