Police check points? What do you think?
Hisler
2012-02-05 04:19:26 UTC
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/smoke-signals/arrested-development/

It had been a miserable visit to Las Cruces, the closest city to where I
live. I had driven down on a summer day to do some unavoidable and
long-overdue urban errands, and everything had gone badly. I couldn’t
find most of the places I was looking for, the ones I did find were
closed or didn’t have what I needed and I ended up eating an awful lunch
in an awful truck stop. It was also about 120 degrees. There is a
permanent Border Patrol checkpoint between Las Cruces and Deming, and
one of the main reasons I avoid driving to Cruces is my visceral hatred
of that checkpoint, even though, almost every single time, I have just
been waved through with nary a syllable exchanged.

This time, I was stopped, and the midget agent asked if I was an
American Citizen. Would have been easy enough to simply answer the
question and drive off. But my mood was foul. “Yes. Are you?” I
responded. I thought the midget’s head was going to explode. “What …
what …do … you … mean … by … that?” he stammered. “Well, I’ve done quite
a bit of traveling in Central America, and you look Honduran to me.”
Indeed, he did look as though he came from Mayan ancestry. As his face
got redder and redder, I added a bit of fuel to the fire: “Well, I
figure I have as much right to ask you that question as you do to ask
me.” The overall negative vibe must have been strong, because, right
then, a supervisor came dashing out of the little tollbooth-looking
station. He and the red-faced midget Mayan exchanged a few words, and
the supervisor came over to me and said, “Sir, you have yourself a nice
day.” As I drove away, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that
supervisor waving a finger about three inches under the nose of the Mayan.

Probably, the supervisor was saying to the Mayan, “Look, shit for
brains, next time someone does anything except answer your question,
Taser him right in the eyeball.”

But maybe I’m getting soft, because I’d like to think he was saying,
“Hey, these people have every right as Americans, as humans, to be
miffed about having to stop at a roadblock and answer questions. They
have every right to be in a bad mood. So, unless you suspect them of
criminal behavior, no matter what they say, you respectfully bid them a
good day and return your attention to finding the real bad guys.”

Here’s the thing about all four of the encounters I have herein related:
The people I am essentially bragging about messing with were all
friendly and professional. So, what does this say about me?

It says: I don’t care if the hungry, undocumented hordes break upon our
borders like a ravenous tsunami of humanity; I do not care if every man,
woman and child in the nation becomes a crack addict working full time
for the Zetas, if the alternative is my country turning into the police
state it is clearly already turning into. Friendliness and
professionalism on the part of the Stinking Badges amounts to nothing
more than putting lipstick on a pig.
Gunner Asch
2012-02-05 06:51:35 UTC
Post by Hisler
[...]
It was a very good article up to the last paragraph. And at that
point..he lost his brains and they dribbled down his leg and into his
socks.

Sadly.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Hisler
Gunner Asch
Mr.Sandman
2012-02-05 12:23:57 UTC
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
CS
2012-02-05 14:19:32 UTC
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it is the
exact opposite.

CS
Mr.Sandman
2012-02-05 14:42:08 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it is
the exact opposite.
CS
OK, You've made a valid point.Then conservatives need to shut up because
they are the ones who are always talking about freedom and limited
government. Being safe and secure does not come with limited government.
Snag
2012-02-05 16:20:12 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree
with most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for
themselves and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move
wherever you want to without having to answer too many questions and
feeling safe and secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it
is the exact opposite.
CS
OK, You've made a valid point.Then conservatives need to shut up
because they are the ones who are always talking about freedom and
limited government. Being safe and secure does not come with limited
government.
I think I'd prefer the limited gov't option . Freedom was never free .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !
CS
2012-02-05 17:26:52 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it is
the exact opposite.
CS
OK, You've made a valid point.Then conservatives need to shut up because
they are the ones who are always talking about freedom and limited
government. Being safe and secure does not come with limited government.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't heard demands for 'safe and secure' from conservatives...except
perhaps when it comes to self defense, firearms, and so on.

CS
Stormin Mormon
2012-02-05 22:54:40 UTC
I'm a believer in being safe in my person and property, and secure from
unreasonable search and siezure by government.

I can't remember the source, but I've heard that some road stops are just
shake downs for any cash money carried. Supposed to be drug enforcement, and
all. But turns out to be a fund raiser for the cops.

Frankly, I think check points are over done in the US, and under done at the
south border.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

CS
Ramon F. Herrera
2012-02-05 18:04:21 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
Post by Mr.Sandman
[...]
Your are confusing the term "conservative" with "right wing militias".

-Ramon
Gunner Asch
2012-02-06 04:44:24 UTC
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:42:08 -0500, "Mr.Sandman"
Post by Mr.Sandman
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it is
the exact opposite.
CS
OK, You've made a valid point.Then conservatives need to shut up because
they are the ones who are always talking about freedom and limited
government. Being safe and secure does not come with limited government.
Why would we shut up, when we want freedom, and not security?

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves
neither liberty nor security." Benjimin Franklin

Gunner Asch
don Gabacho
2012-02-05 16:17:13 UTC
Exactly Castro's rant!
Gunner Asch
2012-02-06 04:40:13 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom. In fact, it is the
exact opposite.
CS
Bravo!! Well said!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Ramon F. Herrera
2012-02-05 17:02:04 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure?  Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom.
In fact, it is the exact opposite.
The exact opposite?? Not for everybody. Not for all times.

Would you take your family to war?

-Ramon
Ramon F. Herrera
2012-02-05 17:05:42 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom.
In fact, it is the exact opposite.
Only for people who are victims of and spread Hate and Fear.

-Ramon
Hisler
2012-02-07 05:22:29 UTC
Post by Ramon F. Herrera
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Safe and secure? Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom.
In fact, it is the exact opposite.
Only for people who are victims of and spread Hate and Fear.
Like the Fort Hood shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter, or the Beltway
Sniper and their victims?
-Ramon
Ramon F Herrera
2012-02-07 14:47:28 UTC
Post by Hisler
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes want freedom but only for themselves
and not for others. Real freedom is the ability to move wherever you
want to without having to answer too many questions and feeling safe and
secure while doing so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  >  Safe and secure?  Sorry, that doesn't come with freedom.
  >  In fact, it is the exact opposite.
Only for people who are victims of and spread Hate and Fear.
Like the Fort Hood shooter, the Virginia Tech shooter,
or the Beltway Sniper and their victims?
Scarlet Clupea Harengus

-Ramon
don Gabacho
2012-02-05 16:15:30 UTC
Post by Mr.Sandman
This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
He wants to live his life as a free man; nothing wrong with that.
The point is many rabid xenophobes...
There you go again: "xenophobes"!

Colonization is real; and the MxGov's long objective for the USA.

Why not do something really useful?

Why not start picking up "the dog shit" you complain about on Miami's
sidewalks?

Of, are the dogs "xenophobic" too?
Frank
2012-02-05 14:45:12 UTC
I don't like check points but police are generally forbidden to profile
and must check everybody. Political correctness is the problem.
Hisler
2012-02-06 02:50:00 UTC
Indeed it is.
Stormin Mormon
2012-02-06 13:49:36 UTC
I don't have a cite, just an old memory. Years ago, the cops were looking
for a bank robber. They put out description of his height, weight, and
clothing. But, due to PC they didn't mention he was black. I wonder how many
whites, Chinese, Vietnamese, got investigated on 911 calls after that?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
Indeed it is.
Steve from Colorado
2012-02-06 16:59:09 UTC
Post by Hisler
I don't have a cite, just an old memory. Years ago, the cops were looking
for a bank robber. They put out description of his height, weight, and
clothing. But, due to PC they didn't mention he was black. I wonder how many
whites, Chinese, Vietnamese, got investigated on 911 calls after that?
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
I believe that was the Beltway Sniper. A black Maryland police chief
profiled the illegal alien terrorist as most likely being a white Ron
Paul supporter, IIRC.
CS
2012-02-05 17:22:36 UTC
"Hisler" wrote in message news:jgl00d$a7r$***@dont-email.me...

This is a provocative piece on police check points. I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/smoke-signals/arrested-development/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He does convey his side, however, he's a prick.

From the first paragraph of the linked story:

"The unassailable, DNA-level disdain that I harbor toward law-enforcement
certainly has roots that grow back to my criminal childhood, a time during
which I did not look at police officers so much as enforcers of laws (most
of which I happened to disagree with), but, rather, as fun mitigators, the
pendejos who came a-runnin’ after I had just participated in, say, a spate
of recreational windshield-smashing. There was, not surprisingly, enough
resultant heavy head-butting that lifelong stereotypes were indelibly seared
into my psyche."

The guy is in his late 50's, and he still thinks that, having destroyed
other people's property as a child, the cops were the bad guys for trying to
stop him.

He also projects his own damaged mental issues onto other folks, like when
he imagines the supervisor getting on the "Mayan's" case for not tazering
him. More likely, he was getting in his ass for holding up the line.

Do you remember the Stanford Prison Experiment?

http://www.prisonexp.org/

This was supposed to be positive proof that prison guards are simply power
hungry barbarians who abuse prisoners just to feed their egos.

Several problems with this experiment are evident. The 'researchers' and
participants already had preconceived notions of what prisons, prison
guards, and prisoners were all about, and allowed their opinions to taint
the experiment. They intentionally designed the experiment to prove the
conclusions they reached before they started, even acknowledging the
unrealistic methods used, and why they used them. They weren't above
altering their methods throughout the experiment when the results they
wanted weren't coming about.

They weren't concerned with facts or reality. They simply wanted to "prove"
prison guards (cops) were bad.

Sounds like this guy went to Stanford.

And he sounds like an anarchist.

I'm not a big fan of rules or authority myself. I don't do clubs, cliques,
or belong to organizations that require me to do things I might not want to
do, go places I might not feel like going, or placing restrictions on my
activities, even if I'd never want to engage in such activities.

Still, even I recognize anarchy is bad, and true anarchy among humans is
impossible, as there's always some warlord or despot who will take charge.

Ok, I got a little off course from the topic.

I don't dig check points. I agree that the whole "show me your papers"
sounds like a Soviet era nightmare. Obviously we need them at the borders,
and perhaps if someone specific, say an escaped prisoner, is in the area,
but permanent or general use checkpoints inside the US, not good.

CS
Hisler
CS
bates2012
2012-02-05 04:40:57 UTC
[...]
Well, my take on it is, anybody that knows me knows what I think of
the po-lice, lol
NB
Hisler
2012-02-07 05:27:52 UTC
Post by bates2012
Post by Hisler
[...]
I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "I'd be going with the flow of
traffic if it weren't for the pig behind me."
don Gabacho
2012-02-05 16:11:02 UTC
Post by Hisler
[...]
No American should even recognize, much less submit, to the authority
of anyone of any public office with the disqualifier inherent of
having dual citizenship---sought or (as the MxGov has) conferred---and
has every right, even obligation, to determine such status.

The only fault I find on the part of the American crossing the border
is his not staying at the checkpoint to see the matter through.
CanopyCo
2012-02-05 20:55:32 UTC
This is a provocative piece on police check points.  I don't agree with
most of what the dude says, but he communicates his side well.
http://www.mountaingazette.com/smoke-signals/arrested-development/
I had the pleasure of dealing with one of these Texas check points
long ago when coming back from El Paso.

Police stopping you without reasonable cause is illegal and I am
opposed to cops breaking the law.
Especially when they are stupid cops doing it in a really clumsy way.

First off, I was way up the road and nowhere near the border when I
hit the check point.
Then the Mexican with a badge apparently couldn’t speak English.

This is a transcript of the incident.

I was in a pinto with Oklahoma plates on it.

Cop; May I see your ID and insurance verification?
I handed him my Oklahoma driver’s license with my picture on it and
the insurance paper from my home town with the address clearly on it.
I had a stack of them and had to pick out the new one from years of
them, showing a history of location.
He could see them and watch as I sorted them out.

Cop; where you out of?

Me; I’m out of Tulsa. Down here to build a canopy over a gas station
in El Paso.
We finished and are on our way home.

Cop; (Looking sort of confused) Where you out of?

Me; (Looking annoyed and sort of confused) I’m out of Tulsa Oklahoma.
Came down here to build a canopy over a gas station in El Paso.
We finished and are on our way home.

Cop; (Now looking annoyed) Where you out of?

Me; (pretty fed up at this point) The company I work for is out of
Tulsa and I live in a little town just east of their called Hominy
like my drivers license said. I’m down here to build a canopy over a
gas station in El Paso.
We finished and are on our way home.

Cop; (looking even more annoyed) Where you out of?

Me; (Really fed up at this point) I’m out of Tulsa Oklahoma. Down here
to build a canopy over a gas station in El Paso.
We finished and are on our way home.
How do you get this sort of job considering that you clearly can’t
Oblo English?

At this point the guy riding with me said “Were out of El Paso”.
The cop looked like he was thinking and I said “ya, we are out of El
Paso”.

He then said that we could go and we left.

If the stupid Mexican wanted to know the name of the last town that I
stopped at he should have ask that, as if it was any of his business.

There is no need for these check points, as the immigration problem is
not created due to a lack of check points.
It is due to a lack of enforcement at any point where the immigrant is
found.

These check points only do one thing.
Make problems for citizens trying to move freely within the boundaries
of the US without wanting every two bit cop up his ass every time one
gets board.

I completely agree with the writer of the article posted.
Hisler
2012-02-07 05:18:28 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by Hisler
[...]
Thank you for taking the time to post a story of your own experience
with checkpoints.
CanopyCo
2012-02-08 13:54:43 UTC
Post by Hisler
Post by CanopyCo
[...]
with checkpoints.- Hide quoted text -
You’re welcome.

What really annoyed me was that the Mexican with a badge apparently
couldn’t say more than 4 words in English.
Where you out of.

On a construction site, when you ask a guy where you out of you are
usually asking where the company that he works for is located or where
does he live.

I gave him all the information he needed to determine the answer that
he wanted, considering that I told him that I had just done a job in
El Paso.
Why did he keep asking the same question worded exactly the same way
when he should have seen that I didn’t understand what he wanted?

The only thing that pisses me off more than idiots with badges is the
guys that hired the idiot and put a badge on him in the first place.

You get 10 miles from the gulf and Texas sucks.
plainolamerican
police should have all the tools they need to catch the bad guys
Stormin Mormon
2012-02-07 11:34:39 UTC
They did a fine job for the first 200 or so years of the nation's history. I
think it's when they started the PC nonsense, and became racist that they
lost their effectiveness.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
CanopyCo
2012-02-07 14:10:18 UTC
Post by Hisler
professionalism on the part of the Stinking Badges amounts to nothing
more than putting lipstick on a pig.
police should have all the tools they need to catch the bad guys
Not so sure about that.
For my entire life they have all been abusive bullies intent on doing
nothing but hassle those that are not harming anyone and ignoring real
problem people.

Had one stop my brother and give him a ticket for running a stop sign
on a road that had no stop sign.
One was installed before the case had time to go before the judge.
That was around 1975.

The only exception to that was at one time the Oklahoma Highway
Patrol.
However, now they hire power mad bullies that will stop an ambulance
for not pulling over fast enough for the cop and then try to start a
fight so he can assault the ambulance driver.
On top of that, his superiors backed his play and did nothing until
public outcry finally forced him to act.

If you watch old movies about the time of Bonny and Clyde they usually
portray them as stupid bullies, even when they are trying to make it
like that is a good thing.

The last good cop that I remember seeing on TV was in the cowboy
shows.

So, considering the evidence and human nature, I think that cops have
always been power mad bullies unless the local people could shoot them
and get away with it.
CS
2012-02-09 01:55:15 UTC

Post by Hisler
[...]

http://youtu.be/KluItc365hU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find it disturbing that the chief said the cop had a right to pull him
over.

Even if he did flip off the cop, and it was "an act of defiance", it is not
illegal in any way I know of.

Also, if the cop was passing the ambulance, it's almost certain he was
speeding, which means he had somewhere to go in a hurry. If he expected the
ambulance to pull over for him, that means he must have had his emergency
lights on. That being the case, it doesn't seem reasonable that he had the
time to pull them over and get into a pissing contest with them. In
California, those cops would have been given a shit sandwich. It's illegal
to speed without their emergency lights on, and if they're doing all that,
and don't have some legit cop stuff to do, getting caught is a bad idea
career-wise.

It's a damn sorry story that makes me glad for California laws.

Anyway, I spent two years in Oklahoma, and I never had a problem with the
cops, even with my liberal view of the 55 speed limit...yes, it was that
long ago.

CS
Ray Keller

Shall not be infringed
2012-02-06 23:31:59 UTC
[...]
FYI: Federales must be USA Citizens.

Staties, County Mounties, and lower may or not.

In Ohio, foreigners can be state employees. That's because Ohio
doesn't have enough jobs for Americans.
CanopyCo
2012-02-07 13:50:13 UTC
On Feb 6, 5:31 pm, Shall not be infringed <hot-ham-and-
Post by Shall not be infringed
[...]
doesn't have enough jobs for Americans.- Hide quoted text -
The Texas check points are not manned by US Border Patrol.
They are manned by Texas hired cops of some form or another.
Ramon F Herrera
2012-02-07 14:45:08 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
[...]
I have spent 30 years in this country (more than in my native
Venezuela). I have spent about two years on the road (much of it
uninterrupted), I have driven through most states, and the number of
checkpoints I have ever found is ZERO.

(Well, they took a look a my van with a flashlight one night when I
was showing the Capitol building to my brother and we tried to drive
as close as possible, soon after 9/11).

-Ramon
CanopyCo
2012-02-07 16:21:36 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by CanopyCo
[...]
-Ramon- Hide quoted text -
There is one on I 20 between El Paso and Abilene.
There is another one on I 10 at the Texas border to New Mexico.

To my knowledge, Texas is the only one pulling this crap.
Ramon F. Herrera
2012-02-07 22:15:28 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by CanopyCo
[...]
I have been living in the Lone Star state of -formerly- Tejas for 3
years now. However, my usual corridors are: Houston-Austin-Dallas.
Been to San Anton a couple times. Wouldn't know what a police
checkpoint looks like.

When I go to Venezuela and travel with friends/relatives, there are
lots of "alcabalas". Some have a fixed (small) building which has been
in the same place for decades, and some are meant to be a surprise. I
sort of brag to my travel companions: "In the US, they NEVER have
something like this. It is considered something a violation of Freedom
of Movement, something that belongs in uncivilized countries like
Cuba, etc.".

-Ramon
CanopyCo
2012-02-08 14:01:50 UTC
Post by CanopyCo
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by CanopyCo
> [...]
-Ramon- Hide quoted text -
There is one on I 20 between El Paso and Abilene.
There is another one on I 10 at the Texas border to New Mexico.
 > To my knowledge, Texas is the only one pulling this crap.
I have been living in the Lone Star state of -formerly- Tejas for 3
years now. However, my usual corridors are: Houston-Austin-Dallas.
Been to San Anton a couple times. Wouldn't know what a police
checkpoint looks like.
When I go to Venezuela and travel with friends/relatives, there are
lots of "alcabalas". Some have a fixed (small) building which has been
in the same place for decades, and some are meant to be a surprise. I
sort of brag to my travel companions: "In the US, they NEVER have
something like this. It is considered something a violation of Freedom
of Movement, something that belongs in uncivilized countries like
Some weekend, just for giggles, go to El Paso and spend the night.
Then go from there to Dallas.
The stay near the border will enlighten you if you survive, and the
trip back will show you what America is becoming and what Texas has
been for years.

;-)