Gender is not a synonym for sex
Lou Bricano
2023-04-25 16:56:39 UTC
"Sex and Gender Are Not Synonyms"

Over the weekend, Newsweek published an article highlighting the inequities that
exist in women’s health research [1]. I think it’s fantastic that major media
outlets are drawing attention to an issue that has been central to the Women’s
Health Research Institute’s mission since its inception. However, as I read
along, I can’t help but cringe when I come across the following mistake: sex and
gender are not synonyms.

In the opening paragraph, author Jessica Firger mentions how “biological factors
beyond a patient’s control – especially gender – can determine [cancer]
treatment outcome.” But the truth is, gender is not a biological factor whereas
sex is. Gender is a social construct which defines the appearance, actions,
thoughts, and behaviors associated with the male or female sex and can change
depending on the cultural context. Sex on the other hand, is strictly a
biological construct determined by the presence or absence of the Y chromosome.
To use sex and gender interchangeably, especially when discussing biomedical
research, is in error.

Perhaps what’s more embarrassing, is that scientists continue to make this
mistake as well (and quite frankly, they should know better). A quick search
through PubMed will reveal article titles relating to “gender differences” in
the context of pancreatic cancer, orthostatic hypotension, and proton pump
inhibitor pharmacology, when they should have been properly attributed to “sex
differences.” How can we expect the media and general public to understand the
differences between sex and gender if we can’t get it right ourselves?

So, I offer you the following Public Service Announcement from your friendly
local scientist:

1. Cell lines have a sex.
2. Model organisms have a sex.
3. Humans have both a sex and gender and it’s important to differentiate
between the two.

If we are to advance sex- and gender-inclusive biomedical and clinical research,
it is of the utmost importance to understand these concepts.

Lastly, don’t say gender instead of sex just because you’re afraid of saying the
word sex. This is a stigma we all need to get over because sex (in both
definitions) is a natural, biological concept. It’s time we start attributing it
as such.

https://womenshealth.obgyn.msu.edu/blog/sex-and-gender-are-not-synonyms

Sex and gender are not synonyms. People who say they are are illiterate and
most likely degree-less. They're stupid.
Lou Bricano
2023-04-25 18:01:57 UTC
Post by Lou Bricano
[...]
Why do I get the feeling you're referring to Hartung again?
I am, but not only to him. There are plenty of other fuckwits who wrongly use
sex and gender as synonyms. They are not synonyms. Gender *derives* from sex,
but it is not a synonym for it. Sex as an attribute (not an activity) is purely
biological. Gender is grammatical, and also a social construct that is used to
describe properties that have historically been linked to attributes thought to
be common to one of the sexes. Note there are languages that have a neuter
gender not related to either sex. A list of languages that have masculine,
feminine and neuter gender can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_type_of_grammatical_genders#Masculine,_feminine,_and_neuter

There are two basic reasons why people began using "gender" as a wrong synonym
for "sex"; the reasons are related. First, most Americans, even self-styled
iconoclastic proggies, are squeamish about the word "sex." Proggies may think
they have cast off the shackles of bourgeois politesse, but they haven't really.
Second, "gender" just sounds more sophisticated and erudite than "sex," even
though it's a bogus sense of sophistication and erudition. When talking about
sex, people should say "sex." I read a great article in the Atlantic several
years ago (*most* articles in the Atlantic are objectively great) that used
"sex" as a transitive verb. It was about a man who expertly and rapidly sexed —
that is, determined the sex of — very young chickens in order to segregate
future hens from would-be future roosters (most male chicks are immediately
killed). He sexed the chickens; he did not "gender" them. Sex and gender are
not synonyms.

People who continue to insist that sex and gender are synonyms, even after they
have been authoritatively instructed otherwise, are willfully and aggressively
stupid.
Just Wondering
2023-04-25 20:12:54 UTC
Post by Lou Bricano
Sex and gender are not synonyms.
Gender and gender identity are not synonyms either. A male
(biological) is a man (gender). A man who "identifies" as a
woman is not a woman, he is a man with a mental health problem.
Lou Bricano
2023-04-25 20:22:36 UTC
"Man" is not a gender, Francis, you stupid fat fuck.
Rupert Graves
It ain't a tranny either, Rudy, you demented crossdresser.
Mattb

Peter Freeman
2023-04-26 04:13:09 UTC
Post by Lou Bricano
"Sex and Gender Are Not Synonyms"
Over the weekend, Newsweek published an article highlighting the
inequities that exist in women’s health research [1]. I think it’s
fantastic that major media outlets are drawing attention to an issue
that has been central to the Women’s Health Research Institute’s
mission since its inception. However, as I read along, I can’t help
but cringe when I come across the following mistake: sex and gender
are not synonyms.
In the opening paragraph, author Jessica Firger mentions how
“biological factors beyond a patient’s control – especially
gender – can determine [cancer] treatment outcome.” But the truth
is, gender is not a biological factor whereas sex is. Gender is a
social construct which defines the appearance, actions, thoughts, and
behaviors associated with the male or female sex and can change
No it cannot change except in the mind of a deranged person. Encouraging
such behavior is not beneficial to a strong society.

The Roman Empire was one of the greatest civilizations in civilized
history. It lasted over 1000 centuries and was destroyed in less than 100
years when homosexuality became "accepted". Homosexual treachery was the
key factor in the demise.

Embrace homosexuality and their foolishness at your peril.
Lou Bricano
2023-04-26 04:44:59 UTC
Post by Peter Freeman
Post by Lou Bricano
[...]
No, encouraging mental illness and deviancy is not beneficial to a strong society.
Post by Peter Freeman
The Roman Empire was one of the greatest civilizations in civilized
history. It lasted over 1000 centuries
No, that is bullshit. It lasted for about *five* centuries, and all told, a
dominant Roman civilization only lasted for about seven centuries.
That was not the cause of the collapse of Rome.
Governor Swill
2023-04-26 05:20:16 UTC
Post by Peter Freeman
The Roman Empire was one of the greatest civilizations in civilized
history. It lasted over 1000 centuries and was destroyed in less than 100
years when homosexuality became "accepted". Homosexual treachery was the
key factor in the demise.
Homosexuality was accepted in Rome until Octavian followed Julius Caesar. He made homosex
and adultery illegal.

Swill
--
Trump hat: "Barak Obama had a big part of 9/11."
Klepper: "Which part?"

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.